Archives for March 2018

When Companies Move Their Business Overseas

The “Great Recession” of 2008 left no one untouched. Many people held their breath as their co-workers were laid off and hoped they weren’t next. They lost their homes, cars, and savings. Companies struggled to stay afloat and to take care of their employees, sometimes having no option but to close.

One company in the northwest, Micron, was no exception – but it hits close to home.… [Read more]

American Anti-Intellectualism and Social Inequalities in the Age of Trump

We live in the age of Trump. What this means will vary from individual to individual, but for every person who thinks he represents straightforward business, there is another that believes he represents an affront to American intellectualism.

Perhaps it’s because of comments like this, spoken by Trump at a campaign rally in 2016:

“You know, I’ve always wanted to say this—I’ve never said this before with all the talking we all do, all of these experts, ‘Oh we need an expert’—the experts are terrible!”

Nicholas Baer, Harper-Schmidt Fellow in the University of Chicago’s Society of Fellows at the rank of Collegiate Assistant Professor in the Humanities, mentions as much in his article, “American Idiot: Rethinking Anti-Intellectualism in the Age of Trump.” He draws heavily upon the work of Tom Nichols, a book titled The Death of Expertise.… [Read more]

How Our Political Discourse Today Leaves the Elderly Out

Today, the way we talk about politics is heated, to say the least. Many political discussions devolve into name-calling and cherry-picked numbers from both sides of the aisle. And almost all of those heated discussions take place online. A topic that is frequently brought up in our political discourse today is marginalized groups — and for good reason.… [Read more]

84% Think Medical Cannabis Should Be Legal: 4 Health Facts to Convince the Other 16%

Although it is still controversial, the idea of medical cannabis is becoming more popular. According to Business Insider, 84% of the population believe that it should be legalized. If you’re still on the fence about this issue, there are several health benefits that you should be aware of.

It’s a Safe Alternative to Opioids

Drug-related overdoses has reached epidemic levels across the country.… [Read more]

What’s the Progress on Sustainable Goal Development, Worldwide?

In January 2016, the Sustainable Development Goals, otherwise known as Global Goals, came into action. In the United Nations Development Programme’s words, these 17 goals are a “universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity.” In replacing the  Millenium Development Goals, the SDGs introduce new areas of concern, with the aim of reaching all of these goals by 2030.… [Read more]