- Hayley Barbour, Governor of Mississippi. Perhaps you’re thinking that he’s winning simply because, well, he’s from Ol’ Miss. Nope. He’s given this award because he is contributing to the national tone of negativity by denying that things were ever that bad for Black folks in his state. Why? Because they weren’t so bad for him. Talk about selective memory! He’s such a dusty confederate that he’s been reminiscing with a wistful smile. He wants to be the President in 2012; I guess telling Black folks that their incorrect recollections of segregation, beatings and all forms of social injustice is a great way to win friends and influence the cullud people!
- Michele Bachmann, Minnesota Congresswoman and presidential hopeful. Well, she’s not from a southern state either but, so what? Like Barbour, she has no concept of history and engages in intellectual dishonesty (which is very different from just a difference of opinion or perception). Her quest for ‘liberty and ‘freedom from tyranny (as though health care, taxing corporations, and women having a right to make their own reproductive choices is tyrannical is oppressive) could be considered admirable but it’s sooooo effin’ Dusty Confederate in that everything that she thinks should be changed would be at the expense of everyone who is not a Tea Party member. How very ‘north vs. south’ of her.
- The Texas School Board/ State Board of Education. Texas has a LOT of clout. Why? Because as they have the power of the almighty dollar. They will spend up to $1 billion for textbooks for their kindergarten through 12th grade students this year so they figure that should buy them some influence with publishers. I am giving them the Dusty Confederate Award for rewriting history: aside from eliminating President Obama’s name from the history books — and refusing to refer to him as the President — slavery is to be referred to as the “Atlantic Triangulation Trade” (doesn’t sound so bad, does it?). Let’s not even get into the whole don’t-mention-that-separation-of-church-and-state thing. Sheesh!!
- Donald Trump, billionaire real estate mogul. No, I’m not giving him this award because his hair-do (ok, his hair DON’T) looks like un-resuscitated roadkill on those southern highways. The Donald is living in the manner of a dusty confederate by acting as though jumping on the ultimate bandwagon to question legitimacy, i.e., the “Birther” movement to prove that President Obama isn’t a legal U.S. citizen, is the train to ride. Just because it’s black, Donald, doesn’t mean it’s illegitimate and it damn sure doesn’t mean that you can rewrite the history of someone’s birth just ’cause you say so. Sit your northern Dusty Confederate arse DOWN already!
- Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court Justice (and noted sock puppet for Justice Antonin Scalia). *Yawn*. Never mind…too many reasons to list.
I could go on as there are honourary winners. Like Charlie Sheen…why is it that when triffling white guys get drunk and out of control, the first thing they spew is the ‘N-word’? Dusty Arse.