Playing is something very important for kids. Since they were born, children have been wired to play and have fun through it. As they grow older there are fewer and fewer chances to play and have such spontaneous fun. Often, we as parents are too eager to have our kids grow up or embroil them in academics that we forget their need to play.
Giving them time to play has many benefits. During playtime children are able to:
- Unwind and de-stress;
- Learn how to get along with their siblings/ others;
- Practice their social skills and learn teamwork;
- Have a chance for spontaneous creativity;
- Learn to ‘think outside the box’ and analyze the situation;
- Practice and hone their fine motor skills or other motor skills – depending on which activity they are doing;
- Focus during academic lessons as they have been “refreshed” through play;
- Stay healthy through exercise; and
- Increase their span of concentration.
The best of all is that play need not be expensive and can literally be FREE. You can make a game out of existing household items or items that are readily found in nature. Sometimes, kids are able to come up with one of the best playtime activity through using their imagination. It is amazing what kids can come up with if we give them the time to PLAY.
Dominique Goh, Singaporean elementary school teacher, professional blogger and mom of three who is passionate about parenting and educating kids. In her free time you can see her dabbling in photography, cooking and cake decorating and blogging at Dominique’s Desk.